Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reach

            ‘Reach’ is a 3D object built around the idea of an arm in kinetic motion. 
 
When I first began the building process  I thought that I would build with wood pieces; toothpicks gorilla glued into squares of different sizes. I thought that the fragility of the thin wood would read well and give a different sensibility to the human form. During the process I decided to create other shapes, diamond and triangle shapes as well. The gorilla glue expanded into the side of the squares which enhanced the expression of the basic shape by distorting it. 
 I started to agree more with this distortion as I continued in my process. I trimmed the shapes to give a clean exterior but left the gorilla glue as is. I painted the shapes with a stark yellow color that gave an unnatural effect; this choice became a part of the journey, it helped define where I would go to next. The yellow also seemed to add a clear definition so, there seemed to be a visual contrast of distortion and clarity. The color was a beautiful bright red which alludes to the idea of veins inside an arm.
 This version of an arm is conceptual and abstract. There is a picture located at the very top of a hand in motion. Its abstract shape is intended to refer to an arm in motion rather than the exterior shape of an arm. It will bend easily without breaking and is mobile, it can move with a wind source. Its shape can be changed at any time. It is mounted on a slanted black foam board to enhance the idea of mobility. The piece could be placed on the floor or mounted on a wall or ceiling.
 I am inspired to create many versions of these arms since there are so many variables of outcome. Even through this process has been time consuming the end product was exciting and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment